Thursday, February 28, 2008

52 Blessings Week 8: Part 4..Last but not least.



Nate
I am so grateful for my husband Nate. I have an Aunt and Uncle that always have so much fun together that as a very young kid I decided my future husband would have to be my best friend. In high school for fun I made a list of qualities I wanted my spouse to have and “best friend” was on the top of that long list. In college after too many awkward dates I tossed out everything on the list but “best friend.” Then I went on a date with Nate. I wish I could say I knew right away we were destined to be married but I can at least say I knew I wanted a second date. That was big for me. I had so much fun and felt so comfortable that night. Instead of wondering how I would avoid him on campus as had happened so many times before I was intimidated and scared by the thought that he might not ask me out again. (I had an allergic reaction to horses on that first date that could make for a great post on another day.) I am so blessed that he saw beyond the puffy, bright red bloodshot eyes, wheezing throat and runny nose and asked me out again.

We’ve been married almost eight years now and he is still my best friend. Besides being a fabulous friend he is a wonderful husband and father. He does things for me and indulges in things he thinks are silly, just because he knows I love it. He gets up with the kids in the middle of the night even though he has to be up earlier than me just because he knows I have a hard time falling back to sleep. If I’ve had a rough day with the kids he slides right in and takes over and gives me a break without me having to ask even though with his line of work he might have heard just as much whining or crying that day. I know that if I were two inches from the TV remote and he was across the room if I asked him he would get me the remote. That’s Nate. He wouldn’t know how to be Nate if he weren’t taking care of someone. His love language is service. Lucky me! His kids love him and he loves them, as a family we couldn’t ask for anything more, but he still gives us everything. I can’t think of a better blessing than to have found a friend that I will love forever.

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Great Post! I think I love Nate too! LOL! Lucky girl...I would definitely count him as a blessing !!!

dusty kay said...

What a sweet post. Could you imagine how much harder marriage would be if your husband wasn't your best friend? You have such a cute family. Its nice getting just a little peek into your life, I never got to know you very well, you were always kind of Jared's "friend" you know? Anyway, sometime when its good for you and Wendi, since you both still have little ones at home, we should try to get together for lunch....

Chris said...

What a great guy for such a great gal! I'm glad you found us on Nicole's website because now I can keep up with your goings-on as well! Hope everything is going well!

crystal said...

I love your 4-part blessing this week! Nate sounds like a great guy & I'm glad you snagged him.