Monday, February 25, 2008

52 Blessings Week 8: Part 1



ANDY
I am very grateful for my son Andy. He was born Andrew Nathan Stevenson on March 24, 2002 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I never grew up thinking I would be a stay-at-home mom. I always thought that was something I would do eventually after I had done something really cool with my life. When he was born though I finally felt I had done something for which I could be proud. When they handed him to me all I could think was that the tiny little stranger was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Andy consistently challenges us, surprises us, humbles us and loves us. He is very bright and inquisitive, which is part of the challenging part, and very passionate about everything. You never have to wonder what he is feeling and whatever he is doing is full-force.

I wish I were better at journaling because I could write a whole book on the funny things Andy comes up with, thinks about and says to others. A friend called me today to tell me that she has an antique secretary (piece of furniture) upstairs in her home that Andy asked her about when he was there the day before. She loves collecting antiques and was excited to tell him all about it. After listening to her and looking at it a little longer he told her he thought it looked more Egyptian than what she had described. As an art history major she remembered that he was actually right that particular pattern on the furniture had been modeled after an Egyptian design! The other day when I was driving Andy and his friend around I overheard Andy say to his friend, “Scientists think that it is impossible to count to infinity, but I don’t agree with them.” He talks so much it’s a wonder he ever has time to actually think about anything, but he soaks it all in and never stops searching for the next step or answer and isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo.

2 comments:

Heather S. said...

What a smart little guy! And I LOVE the picture on the Aggie "A"

Wendi said...

A for Andy! Brilliant! Too smart for his own good!