Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Come Thou Fount...

I went to a funeral yesterday. It was sad but always nice to see old friends and catch up for a minute. At the service they sang Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. It’s always been such a peaceful song to me. I would sob my eyes out a mass murderer’s funeral I’m such a softy so I just avoided looking at the mother and let the song float through my head. I spoke to her afterward and broke down anyway. My baby was rushed to the hospital twice for seizures while my husband and I were out of town and far from him this past December. We didn’t know what was wrong with him and what the outcome would be. That was the most traumatic experience I’ve ever had in my life being so far from him and not knowing if I would get to see his smile or hear his laugh again. So when I went to talk to her my heart just broke only knowing just a tiny tiny part of what her heart must be feeling. I’m grateful for my belief in God and our ability to be with our loved ones again after we die. I can’t imagine how much worse it would feel to not have the blessing of knowing that this kind of separation is only temporary.

1 comment:

crystal said...

Oh, sheesh--what a hard day. My heart goes out to any mother who loses her child :(