Friday, February 22, 2008

Homestyle--Karaoke

If you're reading this blog today, enjoy a little karaoke by yourself. Who cares who's listening, turn it up and belt it out!



Don McLean--American Pie
A long, long time agoI can still rememberHow that music used to make me smileAnd I knew if I had my chanceThat I could make those people danceAnd maybe they'd be happy for a while
But February made me shiverWith every paper I deliveredBad news on the doorstepI couldn't take one more step

I can't remember if I criedWhen I read about his widowed brideBut something touched me deep insideThe day the music died
So bye, bye Miss American PieDrove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dryThem good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in RyeSingin' this’ll be the day that I die,This’ll be the day that I die
Did you write the book of loveAnd do you have faith in God aboveIf the Bible tells you soAnd do you believe in rock and rollCan music save your mortal soulAnd can you teach me how to dance real slow

Well I know that you're in love with him'Cause I saw you dancin' in the gymYou both kicked off your shoesMan, I dig those rhythm and blues
I was a lonely teenage broncin' buckWith a pink carnation and a pickup truckBut I knew I was out of luckThe day the music died

I started singin'Bye, bye Miss American PieDrove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dryThem good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in RyeSingin' this’ll be the day that I die,This’ll be the day that I die

Now for ten years we've been on our ownAnd moss grows fat on a rolling stoneBut that's not how it used to beWhen the jester sang for the king and queenIn a coat he borrowed from James DeanIn a voice that came from you and me
Oh and while the king was looking downThe jester stole his thorny crownThe courtroom was adjournedNo verdict was returnedAnd while Lenin read a book on MarxThe quartet practiced in the parkAnd we sang dirges in the darkThe day the music died

We were singin'Bye, bye Miss American PieDrove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dryThem good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye Singin' this’ll be the day that I die,This’ll be the day that I die
Helter skelter in a summer swelterThe birds flew off with a fall out shelterEight miles high and falling fastAnd landed foul on the grassThe players tried for a forward passWith the jester on the sidelines in a cast

Now the halftime air was sweet perfumeWhile sergeants played a marching tuneWe all got up to dance,Oh but we never got the chance‘Cause the players tried to take the fieldThe marching band refused to yieldDo you recall what was revealedThe day the music died
We started singin'Bye, bye Miss American PieDrove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dryThem good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in Rye Singin' this’ll be the day that I die,This’ll be the day that I die

Oh in there we were all in one placeA generation lost in spaceWith no time left to start againSo come on Jack be nimble,Jack be quickJack flash sat on a candlestick ‘causeFire is the devil's only friendOh and as I watched him on the stageMy hands were clenched in fists of rageNo angel born in hellCould break that Satan’s spellAnd as the flames climbed high into the nightTo light the sacrificial rightI saw Satan laughing with delightThe day, the music died

He was singin'Bye, bye Miss American PieDrove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dryThem good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in RyeSingin' this’ll be the day that I die,This’ll be the day that I die

I met a girl who sang the bluesAnd I asked her for some happy newsBut she just smiled and turned awayI went down to the sacred storeWhere I’d heard the music years beforeBut the man there said the music wouldn't playAnd in the streets the children screamedThe lovers cried in the poet’s dreamedBut not a word was spokenThe church bells all were brokenAnd the three men I admire mostThe Father, Son and the Holy GhostThey caught the last train for the coastThe day, the music died
And they were singin'Bye, bye Miss American PieDrove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dryThem good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in RyeSingin' this’ll be the day that I dieThis’ll be the day that I die
They were singin’Bye, bye Miss American PieDrove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dryThem good old boys were drinkin' whiskey in RyeSingin' this’ll be the day that I die

1 comment:

Wendi said...

Did you hear me singing?