Saturday, April 19, 2008

Perfection is a Process

I serve as the primary secretary in my ward and on Thursday we had a Stake Training meeting that was wonderful. My favorite thought of the night came from the Stake President's counselor. We had learned so much that evening and had been asked to do so much more that he was started speaking about the fact that as we act upon the promptings from the Holy Ghost our abilities to recognize the spirit and receive more inspiration would increase. He spoke about the common issue in our church of feeling inadequate because everyone is trying so hard to be perfect in every area of life. He reminded us that in Matthew chapter 5 verse 48 Christ told us to follow the example of our Heavenly Father and be perfect, it isn't until the account in the Book of Mormon in 3 Nephi chapter 12 verse 48 when Christ is visiting the Americas after His death that he adds that He is also perfect. It wasn't until He had completed his earthly mission that He claimed perfection. Becoming perfect is a process, something that we work on over a lifetime. I liked that thought.

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I liked reading these thoughts. I admit I'm defititely one of the one's that struggles with thoughts of inadequacy!

Kanabites said...

Thank goodness that we have this life to make perfection. I am always needing more time to get better. It seems like I get a little better at something and then slip back down. So I'm glad that we have a loving Heavenly Father that helps us through it. Your trip to San Diego sounds like fun. I love those "business trips" that can turn into a family trip! Good for you!