Monday, January 28, 2008

Mark on the World



“When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced.
Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."


I don't know anyone in the world who doesn't absolutely love President Hinckley. He is pure joy to listen to when he speaks. I had the opportunity to meet him on my mission and was so excited I swear I squoze his hand too hard because I was the last hand he shook before he exited the meeting. (We were warned before that day that he might not mingle with any of the missionaries because his arthritis was painful that day.) He taught us, even teased us, and uplifted us that day. I will always remember that day as a special one. With everyone out there I will miss him.


I still don't know why but ever since I was a little girl I have always thought it would be an extraordinary time when Monson would be the prophet. On the way to our wedding almost 8 years ago Nate and I ran into President Monson in the hallway. He introduced us to the lady he was visiting that day whom he had taught as a young missionary and she was volunteering in the Salt Lake Temple that day. He was very kind. Last night as I watched the news those feelings from my childhood came flooding over me once again. I look forward with eager anticipation and curiosity for what we all have in store for us.

3 comments:

Wendi said...

That quote about the world crying and rejoicing is perfect!

Kanabites said...

I too love your quote. I thought that it fit very well. Thank you for your nice posts on my blog. I never did meet Pres. Hinckley in person, and I am always happy to hear others stories of when they did. What a great opportunity for you.

crystal said...

Ditto---to everything you said. What a great prophet we were able to have with us...and what a great one we have in store for us. I love your story about squeezing President Hinckley's hand on your mission :)