Sunday, September 5, 2010

People Who Hike With Goats



It has been more than 15 years since I hiked Timpanogas and I finally did it for my third time. My dad and I hiked all 18 miles on Friday, September 3rd. Nate conveniently dropped a dutch oven on his foot and had to sit this one out. It was long and hard and wonderful. My dad's ticker wasn't as ready as we thought for the incline on the hike but slowly and steadily we made it to the top.

After 8 miles up hill it was a wonderful site to see the fort at top. Almost there!


Some of my favorite things in the whole world. Waterfalls, lakes, pine trees that smell heavenly, wild flowers, amazing rock walls. I loved it.



The glacier melted so much this year that instead of sledding down the snow on garbage bags we had to sit on our haunches and slide down the steep rock hill.



We took a few more hours than anticipated so my mom called the county to give them a heads up and left more than a million messages on our phones. (We called her from the top to warn her, but she still freaked out.) I think the volunteer by Emerald lake was concerned about our late descent too so he radioed down to the bottom for them to watch out for us to make sure we made it off the mountain. We had to do the last mile by headlamp but seriously, who cares, we just hiked 18 miles in one day!


8 comments:

Natalie said...

What an accomplishment! So good to see this on your blog. Do more! (blogging that is, unless you really want to go hiking Timp again.)

Diamonds Are Forever said...

Wow, 18 miles in day? Amazing. You are way too ambicious.

Erica said...

you go girl!!!

Richard & Tiffany said...

I was excited to see your post. It is fun to see what you are up to. That is quite an accomplishment.

Megan said...

I thought your blog had died:)

I really want to climb Timp one day-you just made me jealous.

Wendi said...

Ha ha ha--I guess the consensus is that we had all assumed you had stopped blogging. :) lol.

Looks like a great hike.

Hard too.

I've always wanted to do it, but I don't know if I'd make it!

Hugs!

mIcHeLLe said...

what an accomplishment!! how cool to do that with your dad.

Heather S. said...

Wow Desi, that's amazing. I know, I'm a little late seeing the post.